Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The Assistant Applications Engineer is the entry level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Journey level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported. Positions at this level perform a significant portion of the work assigned to the journey level, but without the independence or full responsibility expected of positions at the journey level. Assignments are generally limited in scope and are set within procedural frameworks established by higher level positions. As experience accrues, the incumbent performs with increasing independence. Work requires incumbents to exercise some judgement in selecting appropriate established guidelines to follow. Significant deviations require prior approval. Interpretation of general administrative or operational policies is sometimes necessary. Serves as an assistant technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Supports commercial software packages, internally developed applications and web services.
- Assists with customizing and adding new features to commercial software packages and internally developed applications according to end user requests.
- Assists with day-to-day operations of various applications.
- Assists with designing and building new applications based on customer's requirements and specifications.
- Assists with and performing tests for applications, fixes problems as they arise, and assists with product launches.
- Provides technical support and helps to troubleshoot problems related to applications.
- Assists with writing technical documentation and uses best development practices regarding version control and testing.
- Assists with performing software upgrades and helps to keep track of software licensing.
Back to Applications Engineer