Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The 1041 Assistant Networks Engineer is the entry level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Journey level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported. Positions at this level perform a significant portion of the work assigned to the journey level, but without the independence or full responsibility expected of positions at the journey level. Assignments are generally limited in scope and are set within procedural frameworks established by higher level positions. As experience accrues, the incumbent performs with increasing independence. Work requires incumbents to exercise some judgement in selecting appropriate established guidelines to follow. Significant deviations require prior approval. Interpretation of general administrative or operational policies is sometimes necessary. Serves as an assistant technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Assists with establishing networking environment by installing, configuring, testing and documenting the equipment/network systems according to the design and specifications.
- Assists with day-to-day networking tasks to ensure network reliability, availability and serviceability within minimal interruption.
- Provides technical support, responds to work orders and tickets from the users, analyzes and solves reported network problems.
- Assists with configuring firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals and sets up provisions for incoming data.
- Assists with network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware, software and integration testing, as well as coordinating these activities without disturbing function of other systems.
- Assists with producing documentation for installation, network topology, and troubleshooting of communications hardware or software.
Back to Networks Engineer