Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include servers, mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs. Fabrics, storage arrays, and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone or platform.
The 1041 Assistant Systems Engineer is the entry level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Journey level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported. Positions at this level perform a significant portion of the work assigned to the journey level, but without the independence or full responsibility expected of positions at the journey level. Assignments are generally limited in scope and are set within procedural frameworks established by higher level positions. As experience accrues, the incumbent performs with increasing independence. Work requires incumbents to exercise some judgement in selecting appropriate established guidelines to follow. Significant deviations require prior approval. Interpretation of general administrative or operational policies is sometimes necessary. Serves as an assistant technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Assists in providing day-to-day operational support for server, storage or network infrastructures.
- Builds, patches, tests (check for compatibility issues, conducts QA) and deploys systems and platforms meeting clients’ needs and specifications.
- Implements changes to infrastructure with the goal of enhancing performance.
- Assists with storage and server data backup, data migration and disaster recovery operations.
- Assists with software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Assists with configuring security settings or access permissions for groups and individuals.
- Provides technical support (help desk) to users by troubleshooting problems related to network or platform performance.
- Documents procedures and troubleshooting procedures related to systems/networks software and hardware.
- Maintains office and/or production software, adjunct support and/or utility software, i.e. Virus malware protection, office application suites and/or application software.
Back to Systems Engineer