Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The Applications Engineer is the journey level position in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Senior level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported, and is more independent than the Assistant level. This classification performs a wide range of complex analytical, design, planning, implementation, enhancement and problem resolution tasks on large complex systems and networks. It works within a framework of established procedures and interprets policies, procedures and guidelines. This level may formulate recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Incumbents require only occasional instruction or assistance. Work is reviewed upon completion and for overall results. Serves as a technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Configures, maintains, enhances and supports commercial software packages, internally developed applications and web services.
- Assists in customization and adding new features to commercial software packages and internally developed applications according to end user requests.
- Maintains day-to-day operations of various applications.
- Assists in designing and building new applications based on customer's requirements and specifications.
- Writes and performs tests for applications, fixes problems as they arise, and assists with product launches.
- Provides technical support and helps to troubleshoot problems related to applications.
- Writes technical documentation and uses best development practices regarding version control and testing.
- Performs software upgrades and assists in keeping track of software licensing.
Back to Applications Engineer