Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The 1042 Networks Engineer is the journey level position in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Senior level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported, and is more independent than the Assistant level. This classification performs a wide range of complex analytical, design, planning, implementation, enhancement and problem resolution tasks on large complex systems and networks. It works within a framework of established procedures and interprets policies, procedures and guidelines. This level may formulate recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Incumbents require only occasional instruction or assistance. Work is reviewed upon completion and for overall results. Serves as a technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Establishes networking environment by installing, configuring, testing and documenting the equipment/network systems according to the design and specifications.
- Performs day-to-day networking tasks to ensure network reliability, availability and serviceability within minimal interruption.
- Provides technical support, responds to work orders and tickets from the users, analyzes and solves reported network problems.
- Configures firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals and sets up provisions for incoming data.
- Participates in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware, software and integration testing, as well as coordinating these activities without disturbing function of other systems.
- Develops and produces documentation for installation, network topology, and troubleshooting of communications hardware or software.
Back to Networks Engineer