Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include servers, mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs. Fabrics, storage arrays, and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone or platform.
The 1042 Systems Engineer is the journey level position in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the Senior level by the complexity of the systems or networks supported, and is more independent than the Assistant level. This classification performs a wide range of complex analytical, design, planning, implementation, enhancement and problem resolution tasks on large complex systems and networks. It works within a framework of established procedures and interprets policies, procedures and guidelines. This level may formulate recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Incumbents require only occasional instruction or assistance. Work is reviewed upon completion and for overall results. Serves as a technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Provides day-to-day operational support for server, storage or network infrastructures.
- Builds, patches, tests (check for compatibility issues, conducts QA) and deploys systems and platforms meeting clients’ needs and specifications.
- Plans and implements changes to infrastructure with the goal of enhancing performance.
- Performs storage and server data backup, data migration and disaster recovery operations.
- Performs software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Configures security settings or access permissions for groups and individuals.
- Provides technical support (help desk) to users by troubleshooting problems related to network or platform performance.
- Documents procedures and troubleshooting procedures related to systems/networks software and hardware.
- Configures, monitors, and maintains office and/or production software, adjunct support and/or utility software, i.e. Virus malware protection, office application suites and/or application software.
Back to Systems Engineer