NEW (As of 7/10/17):
• Any expenses incurred on or after July 1, 2017 will NOT be reimbursed with FY16/17 funds
• Employees with an approved FY16/17 pre-approval request will receive instructions on how to submit a reimbursement request via the Employee Portal. Employees should not submit a request in the Employee Portal until they have received the instruction letter.
• The online tuition reimbursement system will open for FY17/18 requests in August. The exact date and time will be published at a later date.
Employees represented by San Francisco Municipal Executives Association may utilize funds provided by the memorandum of understanding (MOU) every fiscal year for tuition, internal or external training programs, professional conferences, executive coaching, and professional association memberships, professional software, books and subscriptions, Personal Digital Assistants and laptop computers, and reasonable and necessary travel and lodging for approved training.
Please refer to the MOU for maximum reimbursement limits, restrictions, or other provisions that may apply.
Chapter 12X prohibits City-funded travel to states with anti- LGBTQ laws. Employees cannot use tuition reimbursement for travel expenses to the following states: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas. Click HERE to view memo from City Administrator Naomi Kelly.
- Gather supporting documentation to justify the expense (such as registration brochure, school invoice, membership invoice, travel quote, online screen shot, etc.).
- Log in to the DHR Tuition Reimbursement System to request pre-approval of your expenses.
- After MEA approval, the DHR system will automatically send an approval email.
- Log into the employee portal located at http://sfgov.org/sfc/employee-gateway and submit an Expense Authorization for your supervisor’s approval.
- You must attach the DHR Tuition Reimbursement System approval email
- Enter the DHR Pre-Approval Request ID in the Report Description Field, followed by a description of the expense in the description field (for example: 1-12345 Project Management 101)
- Gather supporting documentation.
- An itemized receipt from the vendor with zero balance to demonstrate what was purchased;
- Proof of payment documentation to demonstrate the employee incurred an expense; and
- Proof of successful completion (for courses and examinations) or proof of attendance for pre-conferences and conferences.
- Log into the employee portal located at http://sfgov.org/sfc/employee-gateway and submit an Expense Report for your supervisor and Department Accountant’s approval.
- Once approved, you will receive a direct deposit (made on non-payday Tuesdays).
To access the online tuition reimbursement program, click the link below or copy and paste the following address in your web browser,
https://tuition.hostedhr.com/users/login and the company code is sfgov."
If you are a new employee or have never used the online tuition reimbursement system, contact your Human Resources representative at your department. Please provide your job class and DSW ID to your representative, so he/she can create your account.
Click HERE to view a list of department representatives.
The equipment guidelines for MEA employees are as follows:
- Employees cannot purchase equipment until the pre-approval request is approved online by MEA.
- One electronic device per employee per fiscal year.
- First time participants in the Equipment Program will be given priority for approval.
- MEA will then process member requests for equipment not previously purchased (e.g. phone if prior purchase was laptop).
- Finally, requests for replacements for equipment purchased prior to July 1, 2012 will be processed assuming funds are still available.
- Laptop and tablet are considered the same kind of equipment.