Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The 1044 Principal Networks Engineer is the highest level in the Engineer series and may be assigned to function as a supervisor, expert or project leader. When assigned as a supervisor, develops, coordinates and executes policies, methods and procedures, and supervises personnel; when assigned as an expert, performs work requiring a very high level of technical knowledge of a specific area or ability to integrate at a high level the knowledge of several areas (this is not considered to be a part of the normal career path for employees in this series; rather it is reserved for those employees with a mastery of specific technologies or a particular expertise): when assigned as a project leader, manages and provides technical leadership of projects involving large-scale, complex and highly analytical tasks. Positions at this level are distinguished from Senior IS Engineers, in that the latter performs more specific and small-scale, though complex, analytical tasks. Work is performed within a broad framework of general policy and requires creativity and resourcefulness to accomplish goals and objectives, and in applying concepts, plans and strategies which may deviate from traditional methods and practices. Serves as a lead technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Oversees the establishment of networking environment by installing, configuring, testing and documenting the equipment/network systems according to the design and specifications.
- Oversees the performance of day-to-day networking tasks to ensure network reliability, availability and serviceability within minimal interruption.
- Provides complex technical support, responds to complex work orders and tickets from the users, analyzes and solves complex reported network problems.
- Oversees the configuration of firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals and sets up provisions for incoming data.
- Oversees and participates in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware, software and integration testing, as well as coordinating these activities without disturbing function of other systems.
- Develops and produces complex documentation for installation, network topology, and troubleshooting of communications hardware or software.
Back to Networks Engineer