Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include servers, mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs. Fabrics, storage arrays, and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone or platform.
The 1044 Principal Systems Engineer is the highest level in the Engineer series and may be assigned to function as a supervisor, expert or project leader. When assigned as a supervisor, develops, coordinates and executes policies, methods and procedures, and supervises personnel; when assigned as an expert, performs work requiring a very high level of technical knowledge of a specific area or ability to integrate at a high level the knowledge of several areas, when assigned as a project leader, manages and provides technical leadership of projects involving large-scale, complex and highly analytical tasks. Positions at this level are distinguished from Senior IS Engineers, in that the latter performs more specific and small-scale, though complex, analytical tasks. Work is performed within a broad framework of general policy and requires creativity and resourcefulness to accomplish goals and objectives, and in applying concepts, plans and strategies which may deviate from traditional methods and practices. Serves as a lead technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Oversees the performance of day-to-day operational support for server, storage or network infrastructures.
- Oversees the building, patching, testing (check for compatibility issues, conducts QA) and deployment of systems and platforms meeting clients’ needs and specifications.
- Oversees, plans and implements changes to infrastructure with the goal of enhancing performance.
- Oversees storage and server data backup, data migration and disaster recovery operations.
- Oversees software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Oversees the configuration of security settings or access permissions for groups and individuals.
- Documents complex procedures and complex troubleshooting procedures related to systems/networks software and hardware.
- Configures, monitors, maintains and oversees office and/or production software, adjunct support and/or utility software, i.e. Virus malware protection, office application suites and/or application software.
- Evaluates and recommends new technologies, optimize operational efficiency, and troubleshoot problems arising in the infrastructure environments.
- Participates in deployment of overall enterprise disaster recovery (DR) strategy.
Back to Systems Engineer