Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The 1043 Senior Networks Engineer is the advanced journey level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the journey level by the complexity and size of the systems or network supported. It is also distinguished from the Journey level by the amount of discretion exercised over technical issues, problems and resolutions, and that it possesses a significant level of specialized technical and functional expertise beyond that expected at the Journey level. This level is distinguished from the Principal level in that Senior level exercises no or limited supervisory responsibilities or the lower technical leadership displayed. Positions at this level require highly specialized knowledge, abilities, skills and experience and often exercise independent judgement in the performance of their duties. The Senior level formulates recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Work is judged primarily on overall results with great latitude in determining work methods and assignment requirements. The Senior has greater authority over assignments and decisions required to complete the work than lower level classifications. Serves as a senior technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Establishes networking environment by installing, configuring, testing and documenting the equipment/network systems according to the design and specifications.
- Leads the performance of day-to-day networking tasks to ensure network reliability, availability and serviceability within minimal interruption.
- Provides technical support, responds to work orders and tickets from the users, analyzes and solves reported network problems.
- Leads in the configuration of firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals and sets up provisions for incoming data.
- Leads network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware, software and integration testing, as well as coordinating these activities without disturbing function of other systems.
- Leads in the development and production of complex documentation for installation, network topology, and troubleshooting of communications hardware or software.
Back to Networks Engineer