Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include servers, mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs. Fabrics, storage arrays, and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone or platform.
The 1043 Senior Systems Engineer is the advanced journey level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the journey level by the complexity and size of the systems or network supported. It is also distinguished from the Journey level by the amount of discretion exercised over technical issues, problems and resolutions, and that it possesses a significant level of specialized technical and functional expertise beyond that expected at the Journey level. This level is distinguished from the Principal level in that Senior level exercises no or limited supervisory responsibilities or the lower technical leadership displayed. Positions at this level require highly specialized knowledge, abilities, skills and experience and often exercise independent judgement in the performance of their duties. The Senior level formulates recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Work is judged primarily on overall results with great latitude in determining work methods and assignment requirements. The Senior has greater authority over assignments and decisions required to complete the work than lower level classifications. Serves as a senior technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Leads the day-to-day operational support for server, storage or network infrastructures.
- Builds, patches, tests (check for compatibility issues, conducts QA) and deploys complex systems and platforms meeting clients’ needs and specifications.
- Leads in planning and implementing changes to infrastructure with the goal of enhancing performance.
- Performs complex storage and server data backup, data migration and disaster recovery operations.
- Performs complex software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Configures security settings or access permissions for groups and individuals.
- Provides technical support (help desk) to users by troubleshooting problems related to network or platform performance.
- Documents complex procedures and troubleshooting procedures related to systems/networks software and hardware.
- Leads the configuration and maintenance of office and/or production software, adjunct support and/or utility software, i.e. Virus malware protection, office application suites and/or application software.
- Works with Business Applications, vendors, consultants, contractors, and IT personnel from other City Bureaus, Divisions, and Departments.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other IS Engineers and IS Administrators.
Back to Systems Engineer