The mission of the San Francisco Fellows program is to foster community stewardship.
The Fellows program is a unique opportunity to learn about public administration in local government while working full time as a City employee. Competitively selected applicants will join a cohort of Fellows for a 12-month full-time work experience as City employees. Fellows will earn a salary, plus health, dental, retirement and other benefits.
Fellows work on various programs and projects that have a direct impact on City operations. Projects span a broad range of City functions and departments, involving analysis, planning, and program development.
Fellows are placed in various departments throughout the City. Past Fellows have been placed in the following departments:
- Department of Children, Youth, and Their Families
- Department of Emergency Management
- Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing
- Department of Human Resources
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Public Works
- Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA)
- Office of Assessor Recorder
- Office of Civic Engagement and Immigrant Affairs
- Office of the Controller
- Office of Economic and Workforce Development
- Port of San Francisco
- San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
- Recreation & Parks Department
- San Francisco Arts Commission
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- San Francisco Public Library
Fellows gain valuable full-time professional work experience and skills such as leadership, communication, technical skills, and other professional development. The cohort experience includes regularly scheduled learning sessions built into the Fellows' work schedule to provide a well-rounded, thorough introduction to San Francisco government operations, policies, and strategies.
We are looking for enthusiastic, creative, hard-working individuals who are interested in long-term careers working in the public sector in the City and County of San Francisco.
The application for the 2023-2024 San Francisco Fellows Program is now open!
Please submit by January 20, 2023 to be considered for a position.