The Access to City Employment (ACE) Program provides an alternative pathway for qualified disabled individuals to apply to the City and County of San Francisco.
To qualify for the Program, applicants must have a disability (A physical or mental impairment that limits one or more major life activities or an impairment that makes performance of a major life activity “difficult”) and must attach a valid Certification of Severe Disability (COD) letter to the online application.
Current Permanent Civil Service (PCS) City and County of San Francisco employees are not eligible for the ACE Program.
ACE-qualifying positions must be from entry-level classifications. An entry-level classification is defined as either:
- The first job classification in a series; or
- A stand-alone job classification (not included in a class series).
ACE Program - “A Path to City Employment for Job Seekers with Disabilities." Read more on Access to City Employment.
To be considered for the ACE Program you must:
- Apply and complete an application for an ACE-eligible job classification through the ACE website.
- Hold a “Certification of Severe Disability” issued by the State of California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or the United States Veterans Administration.
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the classification noted on the employment announcement, which are reviewed and confirmed by the Analyst.
Here is a list of the employment opportunities for the ACE Program.
Step One: Identify classifications you are interested in and for which you meet the minimum qualifications.
Step Two: Complete an application for each classification you are interested in. Be sure to complete and submit necessary information on the application to establish your qualifications. All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application. Do not write “Please see resume.”
Employment applications that are incomplete or completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility and disqualification.
Step Three: Once your application is submitted, your application will be screened and an email will be generated from SmartRecruiters’ system to inform you of your status and next steps.
- A City Department designates an entry-level position under the ACE Program.
- If you successfully meet the minimum qualifications of the ACE Program and the designated position, your application will be forwarded to the participating Department for potential openings.
- To be eligible for the ACE Program, applicants MUST hold a Certification of Severe Disability from State of California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) OR a copy of a Service Connected Disability Award Letter from your nearest Veterans Administration (VA) Regional Office by going online to e-Benefits or calling 1-800-827-1000.
- Applicants are not required to be clients of the Department of Rehabilitation in order to receive a Certificate.
- If you have any questions regarding a Certificate of Severe Disability, please contact the DOR Liaison, Ricardo Perez, by telephone at 415-904-7137, or by email at RJPerez@dor.ca.gov.
I currently do NOT hold a Certificate of Severe Disability. How do I obtain one?
Certificates of Severe Disability are issued by the State of California Department of Rehabilitation or Veterans Administration. No other form of certificate will be accepted.
If you have any questions regarding a Certificate of Severe Disability, please contact the DOR Liaison, Ricardo Perez, by telephone at 415-904-7137, or by email at RJPerez@dor.ca.gov.
Please refer to the DOR website at: https://dor.ca.gov/Home/FindAnOffice for the branch closest to you.
What happens after I complete my job application?
Once the job application is completed, contact the ACE Recruiter who will review your qualifications and the availability of open positions. Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process.
How are entry-level employment opportunities located on the City website?
List of employment opportunities for the ACE Program
If I am eligible and qualify for the ACE Program am I guaranteed a job?
No. The program is voluntary and Departments are not obligated to hire each potential ACE applicant. When a Department is interested in hiring an ACE applicant, the job description will be reviewed by the ACE Recruiter to assist selected candidates in determining their ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
Should I also apply to City jobs outside of the ACE Program?
Yes. Not all City Departments participate in the ACE Program. To ensure that you do not miss any employment opportunities, we encourage you to continue to apply for any other positions you are interested in and meet the qualifications for. Please visit the SmartRecruiters website.
Who decides my eligibility?
A. Department of Rehabilitation or the Veterans Administration certifies your disability based on recent medical records you provide.
B. A City HR Analyst determines if you meet the required experience and/or educational qualifications for an ACE-designated position.
DHR - ACE Analyst
Department of Human Resources
One South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103