About ACE Program
Access to City Employment (ACE) Program provides an alternative route for qualified disabled individuals to apply to city jobs. To qualify for the ACE Program, applicants must have a valid disability letter uploaded to their online application. A valid disability is a physical or mental impairment that limits one or more major life activities or an impairment that makes performance of a major life activity "difficult."
ACE Program - "A Path to City Employment for Job Seekers with Disabilities." Read more on Access to City Employment.
ACE Program Qualifications
- For a job classification to qualify for the ACE Program, the job classification must be an entry-level classifications. An entry-level classification is defined as either:
- The first job classification in a series OR
- A stand-alone job classification
- Applicant must have a valid Certification of Disability (COD) letter issued by the State of California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or the United States Veterans Administration (VA) letter.
- Please refer to the DOR website to find a Department of Rehabilitation office that is closest to you. For additional COD support, please email ACECODRequest@dor.ca.gov
- For disability eligibility, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair Website .
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the classification stated on the job announcement.
- Current Permanent Civil Service (PCS) City employees are not eligible for the ACE Program.
ACE Application Process
Identify the job classifications you are interested in and for which you meet the ACE requirements and the minimum qualifications of the job announcement.
Complete a SmartRecruiters' application for each classification you are applying to. Must complete the work experience, education, training, licenses/certificates sections and all other information clearly substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications (MQs) for the job that you are applying to; do not leave these sections blank.
Please refer to the DOR website to find a Department of Rehabilitation office that is closest to you. For additional COD support, please email ACECODRequest@dor.ca.gov
For the Veterans Affair disability letter, please refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website .
Upload your valid COD to each individual job application that you are applying to. Uploading a resume and/or writing “Please see resume” in the application sections are NOT qualifications for completing the online application process. Applications that are incomplete or completed improperly may be a cause for ineligibility and disqualification.
Your application to be screened by an ACE Program staff. You will receive an email from the SmartRecruiters' system, informing you of your status and next steps.
If you need to attached additional documents to your application, always reply directly back to the SmartRecruiters' system email. The system email is set up to grab your attachments and it will automatically upload the attachments onto your online applications. Or sign-in to your SmartRecruiters' account and upload the additional documents or updated your aplication directly.
How the ACE Program Works
City Departments have an option to designate an entry-level position and/or a stand-alone position under the Civil Service Rule 115 - ACE Program .
If your application successfully meets the ACE requirements and meets the minimum qualifications of the job announcement, your application will move forward to our ACE Program Staff's potential pool of eligible applications.
The ACE Program Staff will work with City departments on recruitment. Applicants may be contacted by either the ACE Program Staff or the hiring department's analyst for the next steps in the selection/hiring process.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications in the application process are not guaranteed advancement through all steps in the selection/hiring process. Only applicants most closely meeting the needs of the hiring department will be invited to move forward.
The ACE Program does not guarantee employment with the City.
ACE Employment Opportunities
View the list of ACE employment opportunities for job seekers with a valid disability.
Department of Human Resources
One South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103