Many employment positions with the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF) require that an applicant has achieved a certain level of formal education. High school or college graduation are common requirements. Applicants may be required to submit documents to show that they have achieved either a high school diploma or a college degree. Some jobs may require additional proof of education. Review the job announcement for specific requirements.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to prove to CCSF that the applicant meets the specific education requirements listed on the announcement for a specific examination.

Documentation for High School Diploma

Applicants may verify completion of high school or its equivalent by presenting CCSF with one of the following:

  • A High School diploma or a transcript showing high school graduation. In place of a diploma or transcript, a letter from a school official on school letterhead stationery indicating high school graduation and date is acceptable as proof of high school completion.
  • GED (General Education Development) verification: The applicant must present verification of GED final scores. Each score must be at least 35. All five scores together must average 45 or more. To request a copy of your GED transcript or certificate visit
  • CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Examination): called “Certificate of Proficiency” is legally equivalent to a high school diploma. For information contact California Proficiency Testing at (866) 342-4773.

Documentation for College Degree

A photocopy of a college transcript or diploma may be required. To be acceptable, college degrees must have been received from accredited schools or from schools that meet accreditation standards.


For the purpose of meeting application examination requirements, CCSF recognizes degrees from colleges and universities that are accredited by a nationally recognized accreditor such as the institutions listed below. This list is provided for general information and may not be all-inclusive.

Check the listed websites to confirm that your school is accredited. You may also wish to check the U.S. Department of Education’s database of accredited institutions and programs.

In addition, for some professional employment positions a school program may be required to be recognized by a specific professional association.

Foreign and Non-Accredited Schools

Applicants who possess a degree from a college or university that is not accredited as described may avail themselves of either of two remedies:

  1. Applicants may submit their education documents to any accredited American graduate school which offers advanced training in the field of study required or implied by terms of the announcement of the examination. From that accredited institution, applicants must obtain a written statement that their educational background qualifies them for entrance to a program of graduate studies. Such statement should accompany the application for examination to CCSF.

  2. Alternatively, applicants may apply, for a fee, to a private education evaluation organization recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) for a statement of bachelor's degree equivalency. Click here for the list of NACES current members: