Many employment positions with the City and County of San Francisco require that an applicant has achieved a certain level of formal education. High school or college graduation are common requirements. Applicants may be required to submit documents to show that they have achieved either a high school diploma or a college degree. Some jobs may require additional proof of education. Review the job announcement for specific requirements.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to prove to the Department of Human Resources or the Hiring Department that the applicant meets the specific education requirements listed on the announcement for a specific examination.
Documentation for High School Diploma
Applicants may verify completion of high school or its equivalent by presenting the Department of Human Resources or Hiring Departments with one of the following:
- A High School diploma or a transcript showing high school graduation. In place of a diploma or transcript, a letter from a school official on school letterhead stationery indicating high school graduation and date is acceptable as proof of high school completion.
- GED (General Education Development) verification: The applicant must present verification of GED final scores. Each score must be at least 35. All five scores together must average 45 or more. To request a copy of your GED transcript or certificate visit http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/gd/
- CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Examination): called “Certificate of Proficiency” is legally equivalent to a high school diploma. For information contact California Proficiency Testing at (866) 342-4773.
Documentation for College Degree
A photocopy of a college transcript or diploma may be required. To be acceptable, college degrees must have been received from accredited schools or from schools that meet accreditation standards.
STATEMENT OF POLICY: ACCREDITATION OF COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
For the purpose of meeting application examination requirements, the Department of Human Resources and Hiring Departments recognize degrees from colleges and universities that are accredited by one of the following:
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- North Central Association of Colleges and schools
- Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Check the above websites to confirm that your school is accredited.
In addition, for some professional employment positions a school program may be required to be recognized by a specific professional association.
Foreign and Non-Accredited Schools
Applicants who possess a degree from a college or university that is not accredited as described may avail themselves of either of two remedies:
- Applicants may submit their education documents to any accredited American graduate school which offers advanced training in the field of study required or implied by terms of the announcement of the examination. From that accredited institution, applicants must obtain a written statement that their educational background qualifies them for entrance to a program of graduate studies. Such statement should accompany the application for examination to the Department of Human Resources or Hiring Department.
- Alternatively, applicants may apply, for a fee, to a private education evaluation organization recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) for a statement of bachelor degree equivalency.
The following is a list of private organizations prepared by NACES that evaluate foreign educational credits for employment and other purposes. All charge a fee based on the extent of the education to be evaluated. The list is provided for general information and may not be all-inclusive. The Department of Human Resources and Hiring Departments do not endorse any particular service.
- Center for Applied Research Evaluation & Education
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Educational Records Evaluation Services, Inc.
- Evaluation Services, Inc.
- Foreign Academic Credential Services, Inc.
- The Foreign Educational Document Service
- International Education Research Foundation
- World Education Services, Inc.