How do I apply for a job?

If you find a job that you are interested in, it is very important that you read the directions on the Job Announcement carefully and follow them exactly, as not all job announcements require the same things from a candidate. Once you have read and understand how to proceed, you will most likely need to fill out a job application, submit it to the appropriate department and then follow the instructions regarding the examination.

Can I submit my application online?

You need to follow the instructions in the "How to Apply" section of that particular job announcement, as not all job announcements follow the same procedure.

How can I get help with completing my application?

Tutorial videos on general instructions for the City and County of San Francisco's on-line application process can be found here.
We also have several computers available for your use at the Department of Human Resource's Employment Center located at 1 South Van Ness, 4th Floor during normal business hours. Depending on the volume of visitors, staff may be available to assist you with completing your application.

What is the difference between a permanent civil service job and a provisional civil service job?

Permanent Civil Service positions in the City & County of San Francisco may be full-time or part-time. The benefits to Permanent Civil Service positions include membership in the retirement system, health coverage on the first pay period following employment, and salary step increases based on union contract.
In general, for Permanent Civil Service positions, you will need to file an application, show that you meet the minimum qualifications as defined by the job announcement, and then go through an examination process.

When a department needs to fill a vacancy that is covered by the civil service process, but no applicant pool of eligible employees is available, departments are allowed to hire Provisional (or temporary) employees. Provisional employees may not receive the same benefits as permanent employees and they may be "bumped" or laid off in favor of a permanent employee.

In order for a provisional appointee to keep his or her job, he or she must file an application for the position when its permanent civil service job announcement is issued. They then must go through the entire permanent civil service job application process (explained above) in order to become a Permanent employee. Provisional employees are not guaranteed permanent selection.

What determines my eligibility for a job?

In order to become eligible for a job with the City & County of San Francisco, you must have filled out an application, proven that you meet the minimum qualifications for the job, and passed the examination. After the conditions have been met, you can be placed on an eligible list, from which you may be contacted by the City for potential employment.

How long will I remain on an eligibility list?

You will remain active on the eligible list until you request to be inactive, refuse the number of times allowed by the examination announcement, are selected for employment, or until the expiration of the eligible list.

How long is this going to take?

The job application process can take from six weeks to six months, depending on the type of announcement.

I have worked for the City for years, do I get any special preference in the application process?

Any City employee who meets the minimum qualifications, has current permanent, probationary, certified temporary from a list, or holdover status with the City and County of San Francisco, and has had six months (6) of verifiable satisfactory experience in any class in any status (including provisional appointments) as of the final filing date for applications, may participate in an examination announced on a promotive only or combined entrance and promotive basis. Such employees are entitled to up to sixty (60) additional points for seniority and satisfactory performance rating after passing the examination(s). Deductions from seniority points will be made for applicable disciplinary actions.

What is veteran's preference?

In order to be eligible for Veteran's Entitlement, an applicant must have served on active (non-reserve) duty and been released from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable. This service must have been:

  • At least 30 days of active duty in time of war or peace in a campaign or expedition for service in which a medal has been authorized by the government of the United States; or
  • During the period from September 16, 1940, through January 31, 1955; or
  • After January 31, 1955, at least 181 consecutive days of active duty.
  • Applicants must not have been discharged under dishonorable conditions, or as the result of a court martial.
  • Veteran's Entitlement provides additional credit of five percent (5%) of the qualifying score on an entrance eligible list.

If I am disabled or have special needs, how can the City accommodate me?

Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the examination process. Please advise the staff member in writing at the address listed on the examination announcement of special needs at the time of application.

What type of benefits does the city provide?

For an overview of the types of benefits, please visit the Benefits Overview section of this website.

Will there be a drug test?

After receiving a conditional offer of employment, prospective employees may be required to pass a medical examination, which might include drug testing. Some positions (e.g., patient contact positions) in the Department of Public Health require that employees meet departmental Disease Immunity Standards for certain vaccine-preventable diseases and/or that employees undergo periodic tuberculosis testing.

I have a green card, but am not a citizen of the United States. Can I work for the City & County of San Francisco?

All persons employed by the City and County of San Francisco are required to comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 by presenting documents to verify identity and authorization to work in the United States.