The Department of Human Resources provides services through the following divisions:
ADMINISTRATION, FINANCE, AND TECHNOLOGY provide internal administrative support to ensure efficient department operations.
CLASSIFICATION and COMPENSATION (CLASS and COMP) classifies the City’s positions and manages Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) and the Municipal Code related to compensation. In addition, Class and Comp supports the civil service system through management of classification actions and appeals, labor negotiations through performance of salary surveys, costing, and contract administration, and payroll through establishment and maintenance of rates of pay, premiums and lump sum payments. Learn more.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION ensures the City workplace and employment-related decisions are free of bias, harassment, and discrimination. We also partner with other City departments and lead citywide efforts to create more equitable, inclusive workplaces where all City employees feel valued, respected, and engaged at work. Learn more.
EMERGENCY PLANNING coordinates the acquisition, tracking, orientation/training, and support of Disaster Service Workers and emergency volunteers to ensure that the City has the human resources it needs in order to respond to, and recover from, a disaster.
EMPLOYEE RELATIONS (ERD) negotiates and administers the provisions of collective bargaining agreements between the City and labor organizations representing City employees. ERD staff advises department personnel representatives in interpreting contract provisions, manages and reviews grievances related to contract interpretation and disciplinary action, determines bargaining unit assignments of City classifications, and conducts meet and confer sessions within the scope of representation. Learn more.
EMPLOYMENT SERVICES division includes Client Services Consulting, Miscellaneous Exams, Public Safety Exams, Operations, and Special Projects.
- CLIENT SERVICES CONSULTING provides HR solutions to all City departments on employment, personnel, and disciplinary matters, as well as Civil Service Commission rule application through direct and indirect services.
- MISCELLANEOUS EXAMS is responsible for all Citywide examinations non-sworn job classes. This includes conducting comprehensive job analyses in order to create valid, job-related examination and selection processes for Citywide positions. Exams trains and consults City departments on best practices for developing examination and selection processes, and utilizing the applicant tracking and examination administration systems.
- PUBLIC SAFETY EXAM TEAM is responsible for developing and administering complex, state-of-the-art, legally defensible selection processes for the sworn ranks of the San Francisco Fire Department, San Francisco Police Department, and San Francisco Sheriff’s Office. This process begins with comprehensive, detail-oriented job analyses through eligible list posting for 23 ranks across the three departments. The Team also works collaboratively with nationally renowned psychometric consultants when needed for the development and administration of these examinations.
- OPERATIONS is responsible for recruitment list adoptions, citywide referrals, appointment processing, the Employment Information Center, and the Conviction History Program. Operations supports the public, applicants, and departments during the hiring process, while ensuring practices are unbiased and merit-based.
- SPECIAL PROJECTS provides direct, as-needed HR support to City departments, including leave management, reasonable accommodations, examination development and administration, labor and employee relations, and operations.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) and LEAVE PROGRAMS provides direct services and consultation to all City departments, including investigating and resolving discrimination issues, harassment prevention and other staff training, reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities, and establishing citywide leave management policies and protocols. EEO also prepares workforce composition reports. Learn more about EEO. Learn more about Leave Programs.
HR MODERNIZATION PROJECT is a Citywide initiative to research, identify, procure, and implement intuitive, user-friendly tools and processes to improve the City’s human resources practices and procedures.
POLICY and EXTERNAL AFFAIRS create, implement, and maintain personnel and workplace policies that uphold fairness, equity, and compliance within the City. We also manage records and media requests.
WORKERS’ COMPENSATION (WCD) administers workers’ compensation benefits and all other benefits related to work injuries and illnesses, in compliance with state and local laws and regulations, and coordinates citywide safety and prevention efforts. Learn more.
WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT (WD) is committed to the professional and personal development of the City’s workforce. WD, in collaboration with other educational partners, develops and integrates an extensive curriculum of workshops designed to enhance individual or group capabilities. WD also provides data on the City’s workforce, performance management services, recruitment services, and citywide fellowship and apprenticeship program coordination. Learn more.
For more information, call (415) 557-4800 or 311; or visit www.sfdhr.org.