Under general supervision, assists in analyzing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANS, WANs and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
The 1043 Senior Applications Engineer is the advanced journey level in the Engineer series. The class is distinguished from the journey level by the complexity and size of the systems or network supported. It is also distinguished from the Journey level by the amount of discretion exercised over technical issues, problems and resolutions, and that it possesses a significant level of specialized technical and functional expertise beyond that expected at the Journey level. This level is distinguished from the Principal level in that Senior level exercises no or limited supervisory responsibilities or the lower technical leadership displayed. Positions at this level require highly specialized knowledge, abilities, skills and experience and often exercise independent judgement in the performance of their duties. The Senior level formulates recommendations consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations. Work is judged primarily on overall results with great latitude in determining work methods and assignment requirements. The Senior has greater authority over assignments and decisions required to complete the work than lower level classifications. Serves as a senior technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
- Leads in the configuration, maintenance, enhancement and support of commercial software packages, internally developed applications and web services.
- Leads in the customization and addition of new features to commercial software packages and internally developed applications according to end user requests.
- Leads the maintenance of day-to-day operations of various applications.
- Leads in designing and building new applications based on customer's requirements and specifications.
- Writes and performs tests for applications, fixes problems as they arise, and assists with product launches.
- Provides technical support and troubleshoots problems related to applications.
- Writes technical documentation and uses best development practices regarding version control and testing.
- Performs software upgrades and keeps track of software licensing.
- Assists with managing vender relationships including scoping of application services and review of deliverables.
Back to Applications Engineer