Updates (as of 11/07/2017)
- The Online Tuition Reimbursement system is open.
- As of July 1, 2017 all reimbursements are processed via the SF Employee Portal. If you have a pre-approved FY 2016-17 tuition reimbursement, please submit these requests via the SF Employee Portal as soon as possible.
The Tuition Reimbursement Program provides City employees with funds for professional development. Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) between unions and the City define the rules for tuition reimbursement. Employees should refer to their MOU for a comprehensive list of eligible expenses.
Chapter 12X prohibits City-funded travel to states with anti- LGBTQ laws. Employees cannot use tuition reimbursement for travel expenses to the following states: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas. Click HERE to view memo from City Administrator Naomi Kelly.
How it Works
Gather Supporting Documents
- Complete the appropriate Pre-Approval Request Form for your union. Forms are linked in the section below “Information and Forms by Union.”
- Additional expense justification documents may include: registration brochures, screen shots, membership invoice, travel quote, etc.
Request Pre-Approval Online
Login to the DHR Online Tuition Reimbursement System to request pre-approval for your expenses. Enter Company ID “sfgov”.
- If you are a new user, please contact your department representative to get an account.
- DHR will determine if the expense is eligible according to your MOU. The DHR Tuition Reimbursement System will send an approval email.
- MEA and UAPD will determine expense eligibility for employees represented by their unions.
Gather Expense Documentation
Supporting documents may include:
- Itemized receipt from the vendor with zero balance to demonstrate what was purchased.
- Proof of payment documentation to demonstrate you incurred an expense.
- Proof of successful completion (for courses and examinations) or proof of attendance for conferences.
Submit Expense Report
Login to SF Employee Portal and submit an Expense Report under Employee Links. Attach expense documentation and the DHR authorization letter/notes.
Receive Direct Deposit
Direct deposit payments are made on non-payday Tuesdays.
Information & Forms by Union
Employees represented by the unions listed below must complete the General Tuition Reimbursement Form.
Employees should refer to their MOU for a comprehensive list of eligible expenses.
Employee Organizations:Automotive Machinists, Local 1414
Building Inspectors’ Association (Joint Craft)
Carpenters, Local 22 (Joint Craft)
Deputy Sheriffs’ Association
Electrical Workers, Local 6
Firefighters Local 798-Unit 1
Firefighters Local 798-Unit 2
H-1 Rescue Paramedic-Local 1021
Laborers, Local 261
Plumbers, Local 38
Police Officers’ Association
Probation Officers Association
SEIU, Local 1021
Stationary Engineers, Local 39
Sheet Metal Workers, L 104 (Joint Crafts)
Teamsters, Local 853 (Joint Crafts)
Teamsters, Local 856
TWU Local 200 (SEAM)
TWU 250A (7410/9132)
TWU Local 250-A-Mult Unit
Joint Craft Unions:Bricklayers, Local 3
Carpet, Linoleum & Soft Tile Workers, Local 12
Glaziers, Local 718
Hod Carriers, Local 36
IATSE, Local 6 Cement Masons, Local 580
Iron Workers, Local 377
Pile Drivers, Local 34
Plasterers, Local 66
Roofers, Local 40
IFPTE Local 21
Teamsters Local 856 Supervising Nurses
ZSFG Interns & Residents
ZSFG Interns & Residents use a difference tuition reimbursement process. Click HERE to go the page with information on ZSFG Interns & Residents.