Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of the DSW ID card?

The DSW ID card helps to distinguish City employees from the general public and serves to confirm identification. Therefore, in accordance with their obligations as Disaster Service Workers (DSWs) under state and local law, all City employees are required to carry their DSW ID cards with them at all times for identification purposes in the event of a disaster or emergency.

The photo on the DSW ID card does not match the employee’s name. What should we do?

You should return the incorrect card to your Human Resources Representative, with a detailed note explaining the problem and requesting a corrected card. Once your Human Resources Representative confirms in the PeopleSoft database that the photo and employee record are mismatched, he or she will request a new card for the employee. If the employee has not had his or her photo taken, he or she will need to do so at the DHR before a corrected card can be issued; a corrected card will be issued to the employee shortly thereafter.

We have several employees who have not been able to get their photos taken yet because of vacations, leaves, or other scheduling issues. What should we do?

Employees who have not had their photo taken will need to have their photo taken at DHR office located on the 4th floor at One South Van Ness Avenue. ID card photos are taken by appointment only and badges will not be issued without advance authorization. Your Human Resources Representative will coordinate the appointment with DHR. If a large number of employees (10+) in your department require photos, please have your Human Resources Representative contact DHR to make special arrangements. Please note that photo and fingerprinting appointments are scheduled from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday except for holidays. Employees who are unable to come into the DHR office may email a photo to, ONLY if it complies with the following guidelines:

  • Head shot ONLY of the employee
  • 3:4 portrait size ratio
  • Color JPG or BMP file format ONLY
  • Sized such that the chin is centered within the photo
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain light blue, white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera (No headgear, glasses, and masks)
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, and with both eyes open

I am a new employee. How do I get my DSW ID card?

Upon your appointment, your department Human Resources Representative will schedule you for an appointment with the Department of Human Resources to have your photo taken.

I changed departments and they took my DSW ID card back when I left. How do I get a new ID?

As part of your appointment processing with your new department, a new ID card will be ordered. The new ID card will have your current department assignment on both the front and back of the ID card (and employees working at City Hall should have the Yellow color stripe across their ID cards). You will receive your new ID once you are completely processed.

I changed divisions, but remained at the same department, so now the division on the back of my card is incorrect. How do I get a new DSW ID card?

Because your department has not changed, DHR will not issue a new DSW ID card to you, even if the division listed is incorrect. Also, new DSW ID cards no longer include division information on them.

I am leaving my job with the City/I am transferring to a new department. What do I do with my old DSW ID card?

Your DSW ID card is considered City property and must be returned to your Human Resources Representative upon your separation from your department.

I lost my DSW ID card. Who do I request a replacement ID from?

You will need to contact your Human Resources Representative, who will then request a replacement ID card from DHR. They will need to complete and submit the DSW ID Badge Request through Smart PDF.

I do not like my photo. Can I get a new photo taken and have my DSW ID card reissued?

These cards have a cost and in most cases will not be reprinted for this reason. However, your department Human Resources Representative may request that a new photo be taken if the representative determines that the photo no longer accurately identifies the employee.