SEIU Miscellaneous funds are encumbered and the system is not accepting any additional requests.
SEIU Nurses tuition funds are encumbered and the system is not accepting any additional requests.
Firefighters Local 798, Unit 1 funds are encumbered and the system is not accepting any additional requests.
If funds become available, DHR will re-open the system on a specified date and post the date on DHR’s website. If your request is pending DHR approval, funds are set aside for you. If your request has a “Pending” status, you can resubmit the request if funds become available.
The Tuition Reimbursement Program provides City employees with funds for professional development. Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) between unions and the City define the rules for tuition reimbursement. Employees should refer to their MOU for a comprehensive list of eligible expenses.
Chapter 12X prohibits City-funded travel to states with anti-LGBTQ laws or laws that prohibit abortion prior to the viability of the fetus. Employees cannot use tuition reimbursement for travel expenses (such as airfare, car rental, taxi, lodging or Per Diem) to the following states.
For additional information, consult DHR’s Chapter 12X State Travel Ban FAQ. The list of states is subject to change. For an updated list of applicable states, please refer to the City Administrator’s website .
How it Works
Gather Supporting Documents
- Gather documents that include the item price, such as: registration brochure, invoice, screenshot, travel quote, etc.
Request Pre-Approval Online
Login into SF Employee Portal to request an expense authorization.
- If you have general questions about the process, please contact your department representative .
- DHR will determine if the expense is eligible according to your MOU.
- MEA will determine expense eligibility for MEA-represented employees.
Gather Expense Documentation
Supporting documents may include:
- Itemized receipt from the vendor with zero balance to demonstrate what was purchased.
- Proof of successful completion (for courses and examinations) or proof of attendance for conferences.
Copy to Expense Report
Login to SF Employee Portal and click on View Expense Authorization. Copy to Expense Report. Attach expense documentation.
Receive Direct Deposit
Direct deposit payments are made every Tuesday.
- DHR Tuition Reimbursement Process Improvements Training
- Job Aids
- Tuition-Related Expense Authorization Summary
- How to Request Pre-Approval for Tuition Expenses
- How to Approve an Expense Authorization Request
- How to View the Status of an Expense Authorization
- How to Modify a Returned Expense Authorization
- How to Create an Expense Report from an Approved Expense Authorization and Approval (even if you already completed your class)
- MEA Equipment Guidelines
- ZSFG Interns & Residents use a difference tuition reimbursement process. Visit the ZSFG Interns & Residents page for more information