The Disaster Service Worker (DSW) program has developed training materials to ensure that you, as a designated DSW, can do the following:
- Understand the critical role you play in responding to and recovering from a disaster as a City and County of San Francisco employee and DSW.
- Help you prepare and protect yourself and your family first, so you can then focus on helping others.
- Understand the DSW identification card purpose and uses in a disaster.
- Understand your possible job roles in a disaster and how to get to your assignments.
- Introduce you to additional required and optional learning for disaster preparedness.
Individual Training for DSW Training and NIMS/ICS (if applicable)
Step 1 - All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to complete the DSW Training listed below:
Step 2 - Take the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) Training listed below and obtain certificates of completion. Please Note: NIMS and ICS training is ONLY REQUIRED for the following DSWs:
- Employees with a pre-defined disaster response role (e.g., Department Operation Center (DOC) assignment, Department Safety Officer, Floor Warden/Coordinator, all public safety and emergency response personnel).
- Supervisors responsible for field operations and all individuals with an assignment in an incident command post (ICP), DOC, or the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Personnel responsible to fill Command or Management or General Staff positions in an ICP, DOC, or EOC.
- Department Managers and Directors with responsibility for Public Safety, Emergency Response, Emergency Management, and Public Health services (e.g., SFPD, SFFD, SFSD, DEM, DPH, DPW, PUC, etc.).
- NOTE: The NIMS and ICS classes listed below should be retaken at least once every three years
Course 1: FEMA Independent Study (IS) 700 - Introduction to NIMS
- Identifies purposes, principles, key components, and benefits of NIMS.
- Up to 3.5 hours to complete.
Course- 2: FEMA IS 100 - Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS)
- Introduces ICS and describes the history, features, principles, and organizational structure of ICS
- Explains the relationship between ICS and NIMS.
- Up to 2 hours to complete.
How to access NIMS and ICS training
To access FEMA Independent Study courses IS- 1700 and IS- 1700, follow the steps below:
- Click on: https://sfgov.org/sfc/employee-gateway and sign into SF Employee Portal with your login information.
- Click on My Links – Work Links – SF Learning.
- Click on Learning Catalog.
- Using the Search function on the top right, search for IS 100 or IS 700.
- Launch course and follow screen prompts to an external link to finish the course.
- Once complete, follow prompts to mark yourself complete on the SF Employee portal link.
- Download and share a copy of the PDF certificate of completion from the course with your department human resources representative.
Personal Preparedness Training
- Ready or Not: Prepare for Chance - Red Cross preparedness video
- Prepare for Emergency or Disaster - American Red Cross website