Duration: 1 day
Cost: $250 (includes materials fee)
Target Audience: All city employees serving a diverse community or working in diverse teams
Instructor: Ishani Baruah - (415) 749-2544
How will participants benefit?
- Recognize the potential for misunderstanding and intercultural miscommunication, however good the intentions
- Understand subtle differences in communication styles, verbal and nonverbal cues
- Understand the role culture plays in determining superior/subordinate relationship and managing and valuing conflict
- Learn specific step by step strategies to improve communication, enhance trust, and build productivity
"Wow! I don't understand...and sometimes they are so rude!!" or “Why don’t they ever say what they really mean?” ...these are common reactions heard in a work setting where we serve diverse communities or when we work in a diverse team. Often these reactions are accompanied with feelings of alienation, frustration, confusion, being disrespected and/or a desire to withdraw. Participants in this session will explore various strategies to enhance communication and build a culture of trust.
What participants are saying:
- “Useful, practical discussions and lessons on culture, communication and trust.”
- “I feel this class provides great learning tools to improve communication in all different settings.”
- “I’ve experienced many, many trainings & culture related trainings and this one rocks!”