UC Berkeley Extension
The goal of City University’s partnership with UC Berkeley Extension is to diversify City University’s course offerings for City Employees. UCB Extension is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) through the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses each year, including online courses, along with more than 75 professional certificates and specialized programs of study.
Areas of study covered under the City University partnership include:
|Technology and Information Management
*Human Resources courses are covered under the City University subsidy; however, the HR material reviewed in class may not be directly applicable to City processes and policies.
- Submit your completed City University Participation Form and a check for 2/3 of the tuition fee to the City University, Department of Human Resources Workforce Development Division.
- Interoffice: City University, DHR Workforce Development, One South Van Ness, 4th Fl, San Francisco 94103.
- Checks must be written out to: CCSF-DHR
- Upon receipt of the Participation Form and tuition payment, Workforce Development (WD) will email you the following information:
- Confirmation with instructions on how to complete enrollment with UC Berkeley Extension
- A Subsidy letter from DHR authorizing enrollment in requested courses and authorizing payment from the City for 100% of the tuition amount.
- Upon receipt of the confirmation email and subsidy letter, you must register for classes directly through UCB Extension by mail or in-person. Instructions will be provided in your confirmation email from WD. You will be required to provide a copy of the subsidy letter to UCB upon enrollment.
- Upon completion of the course, you must send WD a copy of your grade report/proof of completion.
- All active City Employees are eligible to participate in the City University program.
- The student/employee must submit a check to DHR for their portion of the tuition (2/3) at the time they submit their City University Participation Form (UCB Extension will invoice DHR directly for 100% of the tuition amount).
- The CU Participation Form and tuition payment must be received by the Workforce Development Division at least two weeks prior to the registration deadline.
- Failure to submit the CU participation form and tuition payment to WD may prevent the student from receiving the CU subsidy.
- Students will be dropped from the course if the student’s payment to CCSF is returned due to insufficient funds.
- If a student’s payment is returned, they must wait until the next semester to register for the course.
- Students who develop a trend in not completing or passing classes or those who submit returned checks may be precluded from participating in the City University program in the future.
- If the student drops the course prior to the drop/refund deadline, CCSF will send a refund check to the student.
- UCB Extension will not accept payment from City employees participating in the City University program.
- CU funds are first come first serve. Once all CU funds are exhausted, students must wait until the next Fiscal Year to participate in the program.
- Depending on your MOU, some employees may be eligible to receive tuition reimbursement for their portion of the tuition. For more information on tuition reimbursement, please click here.
- Courses with fewer than six meetings: Students must make drop/refund request no later than one business day prior to the first course meeting.
- Courses with six or more meetings: Students must make drop/refund request no later than one business day prior to the second course meeting. The timeline for drop/refunds varies from one to six days after the course start date depending upon the meeting pattern of the course.
- For fixed-date online courses, students can request drop/refunds up to six days after the course start date.
- For continuous enrollment online courses, students can request drop/refunds up to six days after Welcome Letter has been emailed.
Contact for additional information:
Department of Human Resources Workforce Development