The application will be available online on June 5, 2023.
The SEIU Work Training Program supports employees represented by SEIU 1021 Miscellaneous (SEIU 1021 Misc.) contract in pursuing education that will lead to promotional opportunities. Eligible employees may attend classes at an approved, accredited educational institution or other professional educational or training institution during regular work hours for up to 8 hours a week, with pay. The program supports employees who work all shifts, including night shift. Program participants may enroll in classes for up to two years (4 semesters).
To be eligible to apply to the Work Training Program, employees must be:
- Full-time PSC Employees in a classification represented by SEIU 1021 Misc.
- Have at least one year of continuous service in any classification represented by SEIU 1021 Misc.
- Plan to continue working for the City for at least two years after course (s) completion.
- Course(s) must be related to a degree, certification, or other minimum qualification of a City job- class the applicant aspires to. Alternatively, course (s) can also provide skill-building, professional development, or career exploration for a job-class the applicant aspires to. The applicant must be enrolled in course (s) for Fall 2023 semester.
- Selected course(s) must not be offered at any other time, other than during the employee’s regular work hours. If taking online courses, please ensure courses are conducted synchronously (live).
- Employees working shifts outside of typical business hours are eligible to apply for the program for selected courses.
- An employee is responsible for the cost of tuition and course fees. Program funds will be used to reimburse departments for paid release time costs. Employees can apply for the City’s Tuition Reimbursement Program to help cover tuition cost and training fees. Visit the Online Tuition Reimbursement Process page for more information.
- To continue in the program, participants must show proof of successful course completion (eg. certificate of completion or passing grades) at the end of each semester.
- Applications are accepted online only, and on first come, first serve basis.
- Applications will be reviewed and approved by the employee’s supervisor, Departmental Personnel Officer, and Department of Human Resources.
- Approval will be based on program requirements, availability of funds to cover the cost of employee release time, and operational needs of the employee’s work unit.
- Applicants will be notified as soon as your department approves/denies your application request.
- Applicants must submit confirmation of enrollment into an eligible course (s) in order to receive final approval to participate in the program.
- Applicants not accepted into the program will be placed on the program waitlist.