Application is now open. Apply now.
DHR is pleased to work in partnership with SEIU to launch the SEIU Work Training Program, a program established during the 2019 contract negotiations. The SEIU Work Training Program is intended to support SEIU members to pursue education that will lead to promotional opportunities. The program provides up to eight hours per week of release time for members to attend classes that (a) are only offered during the employee’s regular work hours, and (b) are classes that are related to a degree, certification or other minimum qualification of a City job-class the employee aspires to. Based on successful completion of coursework, employees accepted into the program may be able to participate for up to two years, or four academic semesters.
Learn More Below
To be eligible to apply to the Work Training Program, employees must:
- Be full-time PCS Employees in a classification represented by SEIU 1021 Misc.
- Have at least one year of continuous service in any classification represented by SEIU 1021 Misc.
- Plan to continue working for the City for at least two years after completion of the course(s)
- The SEIU Work Training Program provides employees the opportunity to attend classes at anapproved, accredited educational institution during regular work hours for up to 8 hours/week, with pay
- Approved employees may enroll in classes through this Program for up to two years (4 semesters)
- Course(s) must be related to a degree, certification, or other minimum qualification of a City job-class the applicant aspires to.
- Selected course(s) must not be offered at any other time, other than during the employee’s regularwork hours.
- Participants must enroll in courses for the Fall 2022 semester.
- Employee is responsible for the cost of tuition and course fees; program funds will be used toreimburse departments for paid release time costs. Employees can apply for support in covering course fees through the City’s tuition reimbursement program; visit the Online Tuition Reimbursement Process for more information.
- To continue in the program, employee must show successful course completion and passing grades at the end of each semester.
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- The Application period will be open from May 23 at 9:00 am until July 8, 2022 at 5:00 pm.
- Applications will be reviewed and approved by the employee’s supervisor, Departmental Personnel Officer, and Department of Human Resources.
- Approval will be based on program requirements, availability of funds to cover the cost of employee release time, and operational needs of the employee’s work unit.
- Applicants will be notified as soon as your department approves/denies your application to participate.
- Applicant must submit confirmation of enrollment into an eligible course in order to receive final approval to participate in the program.
- We anticipate strong demand for this program. Applicants not accepted into the program will beplaced on the program waitlist.